Nitrate and phosphate control

Sevitz5

Hey guys, I need to pick your brains. My system has around 230 gallons total. I have a heavy bioload with quite a few fish in the 180. My sump is a Trigger 39 and it has a Fuge that’s only about 16”x16”x9”. I am running chaeto that grows very well, I trim back pretty often. I have a large Reef Octo 202s skimmer. My nitrates are around 25 and my phosphate is around .16-.20 I’m beginning to think my Fuge just isn’t big enough to keep up with my load. I’m debating on picking up a Biopellet Reactor to help. Any ideas or thoughts? 

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Can you just harvest more or improve the light on the fuge?

I pull probably 50%to 60% out every couple weeks, and the light actually grows it great. When I harvest it, it’s almost a solid 12” x 12”  block.....I cut it back to a ball a little bigger than a softball. I believe my tangs are keeping everything under control in the display......just would like to see NO3 @ 10 and PO4 @ .03-.06 like my previous tank ran

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I wouldn't hesitate to run a reactor. I've never run biopellets but always had good luck with GFO.

The main reason I’m considering the BioPellets is because my trident is finally keeping my Alk steady and I have read that GFO will rob some of your Alk. I haven’t ever rss as n BioPellets either, so I’m trying to research and get pros and cons

1 hour ago, crimsonvice said:

I ended up striping them completely with mine. It worked great for a long time, and then all of a sudden they were bottomed out. 

I definitely don’t want that, I went through that before and ended up with Dino’s.

7 hours ago, JMM said:

Why not just dose vinegar to bring the nitrates down? Then gfo , lanthium Cloride or another phosphate reducer to get that lowered.

Mainly don’t want to use GFO because it also messes with Alk and I’m trying to dial the Apex Trident in to auto dose for me and I feel like they would be fighting each other.

• 3 weeks later...