Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sevitz5

Nitrate and phosphate control

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I need to pick your brains. My system has around 230 gallons total. I have a heavy bioload with quite a few fish in the 180. My sump is a Trigger 39 and it has a Fuge that’s only about 16”x16”x9”. I am running chaeto that grows very well, I trim back pretty often. I have a large Reef Octo 202s skimmer. My nitrates are around 25 and my phosphate is around .16-.20 I’m beginning to think my Fuge just isn’t big enough to keep up with my load. I’m debating on picking up a Biopellet Reactor to help. Any ideas or thoughts? 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Can you just harvest more or improve the light on the fuge?

I pull probably 50%to 60% out every couple weeks, and the light actually grows it great. When I harvest it, it’s almost a solid 12” x 12”  block.....I cut it back to a ball a little bigger than a softball. I believe my tangs are keeping everything under control in the display......just would like to see NO3 @ 10 and PO4 @ .03-.06 like my previous tank ran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I wouldn't hesitate to run a reactor. I've never run biopellets but always had good luck with GFO.

The main reason I’m considering the BioPellets is because my trident is finally keeping my Alk steady and I have read that GFO will rob some of your Alk. I haven’t ever rss as n BioPellets either, so I’m trying to research and get pros and cons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just dose vinegar to bring the nitrates down? Then gfo , lanthium Cloride or another phosphate reducer to get that lowered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sevitz5 said:

What kind of problems? I definitely don’t need more problems lol

I ended up striping them completely with mine. It worked great for a long time, and then all of a sudden they were bottomed out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crimsonvice said:

I ended up striping them completely with mine. It worked great for a long time, and then all of a sudden they were bottomed out. 

I definitely don’t want that, I went through that before and ended up with Dino’s.

7 hours ago, JMM said:

Why not just dose vinegar to bring the nitrates down? Then gfo , lanthium Cloride or another phosphate reducer to get that lowered.

 

Mainly don’t want to use GFO because it also messes with Alk and I’m trying to dial the Apex Trident in to auto dose for me and I feel like they would be fighting each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...