• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cycling Question

Mike A

I've been cycling my 65 gallon for about a week and a half using the shrimp method.  My ammonia is at 1.5, nitrites at 2, and nitrates at about 50.  Is this normal?  I thought I would see an ammonia spike.  Maybe it's still coming.  First time cycling a tank.  Any advice/thoughts appreciated.  Thanks.

Just give it another week and see what happens. It seems there is more ammonia than nitrites can consume and more nitrates that can stable the carbon cycle. As Muttley stated, every cycle is different. But given enough time, it will straighten out. 

Thanks for the comments.  Much appreciated!  As of today my ammonia is less than .15, nitrites are at .25 and nitrates are crazy high (like 100).  Should I do a water change to get nitrates down or just let the cycle continue to play out?  Thanks.

I always let the ammonia go to zero before doing a water change, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do one, a hundred is pretty high and you are going to have to do a few changes to get it to where you want it.  I would ghost feed the tank once you start water changes and continue to monitor

• Jesse changed the title to Cycling Question
8 hours ago, AndrewSPS said:

Remove the shrimp. Keep the lights off. Raise the temperature to speed up reproduction of bacteria. Lower the salinity so the bacteria can spend more time reproducing versus wasting energy maintaining their shape.

How high can you raise the temperature?