Blue Bird Nest Boxes

Muttley000

I have been making these for several years. Bluebirds used to nest in abandoned woodpecker holes in fence posts and trees. Since fencerows generally don’t exist any longer and the few that do have metal posts along with woodpecker numbers being much less than they used to be, bluebirds are much less common than they were 50 years ago. The houses should be mounted facing southeast, and about 5 feet off the ground. There are plenty of plans online if you want to make some for yourself. I have a couple families every year around my place.  I don’t believe they like to live in town.  The flash of bright blue is cool and they have a nice song when you get to hear it. I try to make 6 or 10 of these a year and sell for what I have in them. I included a picture of my longest lasting one that my Daughter and I made probably 10 years ago. Cedar has gone up some so this year they are $17.50 tax included. I’m not a bird expert by any means, but I have enjoyed these! 

4668EDD8-DCAA-49FA-9141-B03A80250D62.jpeg

96DAC5D0-19B5-406E-91F6-388255966457.jpeg

9E8642BC-687B-40E5-9034-7A5F60F20A84.jpeg

It makes a really easy project to do with younger kids. It’s a fun way to introduce kids to some super easy carpentry as well as getting them to pay attention to some nature. The plans are really simple to follow and can be Easily done without power tools. There used to be knockdown kits you could buy that had everything you needed and you just self assembled. I’m not sure if that’s a thing anymore. @Muttley000that May be an easier to ship option for you. I’ve built bird boxes all the way from little bluebird up to the wood duck and owl boxes.  Bat boxes are another good one. @Jessethose would be another one that would do good out by the pond.