Marinepure

Jesse

Anyone using or has used Marinepure? Does it work for you?

Marinepure

MarinePure is the perfect place for beneficial bacteria to flourish in order to remove harmful fish wastes. It will eliminate ammonia and lower nitrates.

MarinePure's bio-media is the most technically advanced bio-media available today.

• Features Thin Bio-Film Technology™
  • MarinePure is inert and will not harm aquarium inhabitants.

MarinePureFamily.jpg

https://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

4 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

@Sevitz5has a bunch in his sump i believe. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about people saying it leaches aluminum into the tank.  That’s what has kept me away from it.  I’ll stick to rock. 

I had a bunch in my sump when I started my big tank up. As many of you know, I lost all my SPS colonies. After talking to a few veterans, I removed all the marine pure and my tank has came around. Now I’m not saying it was the marine pure....maybe it was the fact I went bare bottom.....maybe it was the fact I went with some new rock.....maybe it was the fact I moved everything too fast, I can’t say. I just know I talked with a few guys that had my same issue, and the common factor in all was marine pure. 

I have since removed it, and installed a container filled with live rock adjacent to my sump.

37ACF952-354B-499A-B29C-849CA3BA6FF5.jpeg

C983B5A0-B9F9-496A-968D-9980080CA53E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I read that it was breaking up for some people over time. I am doing rock less in my frag tank but went a different route than marine pure. 

That’s the other thing I had heard. Some said it would crumble others said it would start to become like a jelly and start to liquify. @Sevitz5 I thought I had remembered you had a lot of it when you started your tank. Is that just a filter sponge on the top of the new container or is that a block of marinepure? And does the flow go down to the bottom and come out the top or vice versa?  To keep it from getting stagnant in there?  

1 hour ago, Fishoutofwater said:

That’s the other thing I had heard. Some said it would crumble others said it would start to become like a jelly and start to liquify. @Sevitz5 I thought I had remembered you had a lot of it when you started your tank. Is that just a filter sponge on the top of the new container or is that a block of marinepure? And does the flow go down to the bottom and come out the top or vice versa?  To keep it from getting stagnant in there?  

That’s 1 block of manifest pure that had been in my old tank for a few years. I got rid of all the new marine pure I added to the new tank....it was a lot. 
I have a mag5 pump in the bottom of that container running 24/7 to keep it from getting stagnant. The tub is fed from my frag tank drain (120 gph) and then the tub flows back to the beginning of my sump.

A block came in my 60, and the nuvo I just got was full of the marine pure balls in the back. Ive let them all dry out, was going to clean them and reuse them but after a lot of reading about leaching aluminum and possibly no benefit I have not re added them yet.

I have a large square in my 100 gallon, Its been in there 3 years and it is starting to crumble.  turning into sand.   I never had aluminum show on the triton checks but did have molybdenum show from the anidization of the aluminum light holders for the kessil light fixture.  I raised it out of the water and it went down nicely.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:54 AM, Sevitz5 said:

I had a bunch in my sump when I started my big tank up. As many of you know, I lost all my SPS colonies. After talking to a few veterans, I removed all the marine pure and my tank has came around. Now I’m not saying it was the marine pure....maybe it was the fact I went bare bottom.....maybe it was the fact I went with some new rock.....maybe it was the fact I moved everything too fast, I can’t say. I just know I talked with a few guys that had my same issue, and the common factor in all was marine pure. 

I have since removed it, and installed a container filled with live rock adjacent to my sump.

37ACF952-354B-499A-B29C-849CA3BA6FF5.jpeg

C983B5A0-B9F9-496A-968D-9980080CA53E.jpeg

I love this idea! I like how clean it is. Might add this in on my next build. 

Im a little late here, but I thought it was relevant since I just made the order today. 

I was always too scared of the horror stories to use marine pure.  The chances of leeching metals, the clogging up, and the having to change it out periodically.  Ive also been anxious about the quantity of rock I have in my tank since I used a ton less than what I had before and I want to stock it a little heavier than previously.  So I did a little reading and came across Sera siporax. 

After reading, the large 25mm pond pieces are what everyones using, its got larger pores than marinepure and they claim it allows more flow through to allow  bacteria to utilize more real estate on it than marine pure does.  its also made from glass powder and salt. It gets fired in shape, then the salt is rinsed leaving the pores.  I couldn't find the pond size available in the states, but ordered it on ebay from the UK.  It supposedly works so well some of the tanks its in needs to be dosed with nutrients to support the coral load.

Just ordered today so itll be a bit before its wet, but ill update my build thread when I get it in.