Buckeye Reef 2020 Expo Postponed

Sign in to follow this  
Deftones2015

Low alk high calcium

So this has been going on for a few months now. Corals are happy and so are fish. Calcium is off the charts on salifert and alk is 6.5 dkh. 

I have tried large water changes to level everything out but it does not work. I use the blue box Fritz and am wondering if it's the salt I'm using. 

I will test that at my next water change but if it is the salt what's my best option? Try a new batch or just switch salt? What salt does everyone else have success with?

I use plain old reef crystals. I’d test the new water before the next change. Also would be a good idea to have someone else test the same water just to make sure it isn’t a test problem before doing anything drastic. 

Fritz here as well with zero issues. I would check the salt after mixing as you said. If it shows that it is off I would find another test kit to make sure your kit isn't bad as well. Have anyone close that can double check it?

Ph has been a steady 8 which I'm fine with. I have a hard time understanding how my alk is so low and oh is normal. I had this same issue on my 29 before upgrading to the 75 as well. I bought multiple test kits with that tank. I thought magnesium may have been low but it always tested in a normal range. I haven't had the time to make a bucket of water yet so I haven't tested that yet. Unfortunately I don't have anyone close to back up my test. I can drive to rivers to reefs but I'm not sure if they test or not. Either way that's an hour drive for me. No dosing. 

12 hours ago, Deftones2015 said:

I should add, corals are happy and growing and Coraline is growing as well. Just odd that my alk tests so low and calcium tests off the charts. 

That's how they work though, they are a balance like a teeter-totter.  When one goes up, it drives the other down.  They need balanced.  Magnesium has a big role as well.  If there is nothing else amiss, that would be the first thing I'd check.

Just now, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

That's how they work though, they are a balance like a teeter-totter.  When one goes up, it drives the other down.  They need balanced.  Magnesium has a big role as well.  If there is nothing else amiss, that would be the first thing I'd check.

This is also why it's important to dose equal amounts of 2-part for people who are dosing.  Dosing uneven amounts to try to achieve "ideal" chemistry, will drive things out of whack eventually.  Doesn't mean it can't work, but why make it more complicated than it needs to be?  Corals absorb CA/ALK in the exact ratio they exist in the 2 part.  Equal amounts always.

remember alkalinity is a measure of the buffing capacity of the water.  if all your buffer is being used your calcium ion will be higher as the buffing ions have absorbed either a free hydrogen (H+) or a free hydroxyl group(OH-).  It boils down to this your system is not stable and a small shift in Hydrogen ions ( a death) will drop your pH like a rock. 

another way to look at it:

pH measure of acidity---- low more acid------high more basic   7 is neutral

alkalinity the ability of solution to absorb acid or base without a change to pH.   mainly bicarbonate and carbonate.  (calcium carbonate and sodium carbonate)I also

sorry if I'm not explaining this well.

in short this is a problem that in my opinion needs fixed asap. 

I appreciate all of the input. I tested a 5 gallon batch yesterday. The alk was at 7.2 and calcium was off the charts. I did read that when using the large boxes with multiple bags it's best to mix them thoroughly to ensure the correct levels.