Buckeye Reef 2020 Expo Postponed

Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Pond Talk....

12 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

Mine is almost finished

Looks great! Are you going Koi or goldfish? Or something else? 

A little bit of everything! Lol. I bought 50 rosey red minnows and threw them in there already to help get established along with some bottled bacteria. I plan to have a couple koi, some goldfish, and ill add a bunch of mosquito fish to help with my already dense population of the bugs. I was debating getting a Bullfrog tadpole and tossing it in there, as my boys keep begging for frogs and turtles. But im afraid that it will wipe out my minnow population in no time flat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like the diversity. I have frogs that found their way in the pond by themselves. I’ve put turtles in it. But they never stick around. I am going to go with Koi this time. But not until late summer. I’m still fighting some things from last year that I need to clear up. 

I like the diversity. I have frogs that found their way in the pond by themselves. I’ve put turtles in it. But they never stick around. I am going to go with Koi this time. But not until late summer. I’m still fighting some things from last year that I need to clear up. 
What do you run as filtration?

15 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

What do you run as filtration?

I don’t have any filtration. I built it so the I can do easy water changes. I put the hose in the top and it overflows in the bottom. I do water changes about every other week. A couple times a summer I do 80-100% water change. 

Ahhh ok. The guy at the pond store encouraged me to take that approach, but i went with a multi-stage filter with the fountain and uv. Also have the waterfall with a prefilter, and packed with bioballs. But you guys know me, i dont like doing water changes lol

I have a little more tree cover than what anyone would recommend for the vicinity of a pond, so i figured i would be battling algae  more than most anyways.  Im still not sure how heavily i should plant it, or how much to expect what i have to spread 

I also like this product. Seems to help. I stopped using it last year when I had some other things introduced to the pond that ruined everything I had going. 

Have you figured up how many gallons you have? 
No, i had bought a meter to hook to the hose and get a count, but it was wildly off. My guesstimation is between 1000, and 1500 gallons