310 Gallon Bare bottom SPS Bar and fish room build

Finally had some time to get some pics. I got the rockwool up all around the fish room and all in the ceiling on the bar side. I still need to cut my “braces” that I’m going to put up between the studs so that whenever I need to mount something I don’t need to hunt for a stud while in the canopy. Also got the supports up for where the TVs will be mounted. And picked up the insulation for the exterior walls today. Going to make a big effort to try and get that done tomorrow. Then all I will have left is the drywall and finishing the plumbing for the bar sink and the utility tub for the fish room. I’m going to order the 72” sump from planet next week. Hope to have that here in the next two weeks and I will be able to plumb that up and hopefully get some water in this thing to start the cycle. I’m going to be working on the aquascape in the next week. Im going to try the way that BRS and Tidal gardens just posted. Looking for a minimal rock look but still being interesting. The only downside is that when you order the “peninsula” style tank planet puts 3 cross braces in it making 4 smaller entrances from the top than when u order a normal style tank that only has 2 cross braces leaving 3 larger openings. I hope that doesn’t hinder my creativity on the scape but what can ya do. That’s all my ADHD brain will sputter our rite now. Thanks for reading.

43636067-DEBD-4F2F-9E81-C2890EC122E1.jpeg C22FB927-9575-45D1-878E-0977AC99FD7B.jpeg061D256C-ED5B-48A6-8E9C-9C5E36E72A9A.jpeg85A06631-F5D0-4D78-9FC2-C051F92698B1.jpegD22CAFED-1F24-4E04-990A-717F90DC33FF.jpegF486B47C-29CC-4ED5-91ED-FC333CC5199A.jpeg0BAA6D0E-7267-4BFC-8892-CF88EF23BAAD.jpegDBFC09DE-D449-4085-8B3A-1CA1C7870540.jpeg4069A46E-9BC6-45D7-B035-9F0D3DFB0CB7.jpegDAFBAECE-783D-4A0E-903C-B194BC19F1FF.jpegA6B982BA-7C03-4897-9930-53BD629E3312.jpeg

Perhaps you can design modular pieces So you can make a few attachments once they are inside the tank. I did that with a large arch I placed inside my 180. 2 pieces built to hook together once inside but able to place individually. Your headed towards the home stretch with the interior. Gonna be one nice area to hang out.

17 hours ago, JMM said:

Perhaps you can design modular pieces So you can make a few attachments once they are inside the tank. I did that with a large arch I placed inside my 180. 2 pieces built to hook together once inside but able to place individually. Your headed towards the home stretch with the interior. Gonna be one nice area to hang out.

I was thinking the same thing.  Basically make it like a big old LEGO project and have some base structure that will fit inside the holes and then have some “connecting” bridgework that’s separate but I can attach once in the tank itself.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, Muttley000 said:

Nice work it’s really coming together!  Are you finishing the drywall yourself? That is my most hated construction job. I’d rather dig a footer in March rain or roof in July lol

The drywall is the only thing I have subbed out.  I agree with your sentiment on drywall.  

• 2 weeks later...

We have paint!  Now I’m waiting on cabinets to show up so I can get the rest of this thing done.  Going to wire up the outlets in the fish room tonight.  Ann’s hopefully get it painted.  If I get that done tonight I will update with more pics

249DFCB4-1FDC-4A91-BB38-579DD4A1E2E9.jpeg

D947C0F4-D87C-4A67-9D98-ABA6A2AB49A8.jpeg

So jealous. I am in the beginning stages of thinking about finishing up the basement for a man cave. The issue is I don’t have the skills or tools to frame it etc. I’d like to learn at least the basics of future knowledge. It looks relatively easy in concept but there is an art work to it. Ideally find a person local, maybe a fellow reefer who could help/take lead on it and I could help and learn. With compensation of course. 
I do have a question though, why did you not use insulation sheets attached directly to the concrete walls? I have been doing some research  and it seems to be a popular method to some. I am not familiar enough to know if it would be good or bad but I am curious how you would hang the drywall on top of that. 
 Either way, your progress is great!

corey 

23 hours ago, Biecacka said:

So jealous. I am in the beginning stages of thinking about finishing up the basement for a man cave. The issue is I don’t have the skills or tools to frame it etc. I’d like to learn at least the basics of future knowledge. It looks relatively easy in concept but there is an art work to it. Ideally find a person local, maybe a fellow reefer who could help/take lead on it and I could help and learn. With compensation of course. 
I do have a question though, why did you not use insulation sheets attached directly to the concrete walls? I have been doing some research  and it seems to be a popular method to some. I am not familiar enough to know if it would be good or bad but I am curious how you would hang the drywall on top of that. 
 Either way, your progress is great!

corey 

Corey.  

thanks for the response.  I wouldn’t say I’m a construction guru but I consider myself “handy”. I got 95% of the info on how to finish my basement from YouTube.  I wouldn’t just watch one video and go for it.  I would watch many different videos on the same step and pick out from each what I would use.  One tidbit to think about when watching YouTube videos is where is this person from and why are they doing (some task) that way. So one of the people I watch is from Canada and they obviously have a different climate than people in say Florida or Texas.    I don’t recall what all photos I posted but I did actually glue 1” thick foam board on all the exterior concrete walls.  Then built the stud walls. Then I also put in regular R-13 fiberglass insulation in the stud cavity.  My wife is always cold and I wanted the basement to be as comfortable as the rest of the house.  

That looks great! I do think I could watch some videos and do some/most of it except I don’t have the tools. But maybe a saw would be a good investment. I do hear that finishing the drywall is truly an art in itself though. 
That looks great though!

corey