Buckeye Reef 2020 Expo Postponed

Waffen06

Sps turning White

I normally stay away from SPS but got this one cheap about a month ago. Moved it from the sand to the rock its on a couple weeks ago and noticed this today. Anything I should check first? Move it back to the sand?

20200615_173955.jpg

1 minute ago, Waffen06 said:

Phos .03

Alk 7.3

Calc 400

Temp 79

Salinity 1.024

What else should I test

i would take these tests again before you turn on your lights. im guessing a swing in alk or maybe even ph. Obviously PH will swing but if it is drastic it can damage coral.

2 hours ago, Waffen06 said:

Phos .03

Alk 7.3

Calc 400

Temp 79

Salinity 1.024

What else should I test

Have you tested the normal? Nitrites, Nitrates, PH, and ammonia?

PH 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates maybe 5.0

What could cause a swing? Anyway to battle it besides having a monitor and a doser?

its interesting the bleaching is from bottom up,  is it getting enough light?

when I've lost sps in the past it dies new growth to old growth (top to bottom)    weird????

Im willing to try anything should I move to more flow? Its under my 360 kessil I cant move it any higher, I currently moved it to the sand bed

Rapid tissue necrosis usually starts at bottom and will wipe out a frag in a couple of days. Hard to say if that is what it is. I lose frags now and then where they just bleach starting at the bottom. I normally cut the good part off (leaving a little bit of good still on old frag) and start a new frag. Sometimes it works ( my Walt Disney survived) and sometimes it doesn't (my jf homewrecker, yes I did shed a tear on that one). On a side note I just looked up RTN and they say it is caused by protzoan and there is a dip for it. Going to have to look into that some more.

I decided to try to frag what I could of the good parts. Cut 3 small sections, stuck what was left back in the tank. The frags still look good and the main piece still has red on it, will see if I get any growth