C02 Scrubber

AndrewSPS

Anyone else run one? I added one yesterday on my skimmer intake and the pH Increase can already been seen. Opening a window didn’t seem to help the tank too much and running an airline outside would be a challenge. A higher pH should result in a little quicker growth of the corals so I’m curious to see how quickly my 2 part consumption does up. 

6E1A96E3-3F06-4FDC-8308-6E6579E42B24.png

I ran one for  a while.

my baseline ph is 7.7-8.0

with window wide open 8.0-8.4

with scrubber into skimmer recycling air(closed loop system) 7.9-8.3 , my reagent would only last about 5 days and I stopped it when I ran out of it.  It was just too much hassle.  If you don't have closed loop on skimmer air this will save you some money on reagent. 

I now have a line from skimmer intake to basement by a window that I open when its not too humid , but if humid it stays closed.  I could drill a hole in wall but that seems like a lot of work. 

good luck! 

• 3 weeks later...

Ph has been higher for sure but to prevent higher spikes above 8.5 I have put in a “Y” fitting on the output of the scrubber. This has a 1/4” line connected to a solenoid valve which draws in non-scrubbed air. So ideally the apex will turn this solenoid on and off to keep the pH below 8.5. I’ll post another graph in a week with the results.

my average went from 8.1 (probably lower since the last day was higher from the first image) to 8.37. This has solved any dips down into the 7.8 range. So ideally the corals can free themselves of excess hydrogen to promote growth. Which my alkalinity consumption is growing by the week. A month ago it was using 30ml/day and now I’m dosing 65/ml day with trident controlled dosing 

9795AB44-801B-4A7C-BA2F-B487A61E6230.png

Edited by AndrewSPS