APEX worth it?

Ive never had an apex before. For those of you that run one is it worth it? I was looking at the Apex-el, I dont have any extra equipment that I could run with it, would be more for the ph/temp monitor and being able to monitor whats plugged in.

It’s a wonderful piece of mind. I use it a lot for a back monitoring. An example is I let my heaters be controlled by a BRS (inkbird) controller. Then the apex just acts as a backup if the temperature falls out of range of the inkbird. If it’s too warm a fan inside my stand kicks on. If it’s get even warmer then my lights will all turn off. If the temperature drops too low a second backup heater will turn on. 

The trident controlled dosing is also a miracle in its own. I don’t have to worry about my alk or calcium dosing and stability. It does the work for me and doses the tank with the correct amount. Something to always look forward to.

They do take a large investment but mine has already saved my butt a few times with leaks with the added leak detection kit. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I’ve got mine programmed down to a T now to prevent and fix issues for me without even needing a text notification. 

Edited by AndrewSPS

14 minutes ago, Waffen06 said:

@AndrewSPS can you use the apex as a temp control without the ink bird. So is it specific enough if such and such happens the can cut power to a certain plug or turn on a certain plug?

With any of the power bars you have control over each plug. You would plug your heater into outlet #1 for example and then input to turn on and off based upon the temperature the probe reads out. The apex offers easy programming as well as advanced programming options 

There is no doubt I would have had to tear my system down without the automation my Apex allows. You can run the heater off a plug like suggested above but it is such a critical function that it is recommended to have double redundancy.  I have a Ranco controller that does my heat and it is plugged into an outlet that kills it if something goes awry. I would also add that the community at Neptune is big enough that you never wait for advice more than overnight

I run an Apex 2016 with two EB832s, DOS x3, numerous breakout boxes, a PM1 module, and a Trident on my system. Ironically, this same system also controls my planted freshwater tank as well. I can't begin to tell you how much easier the automation makes my life.

- I don't hand dose anything. It is all done automatically and precisely.

- I don't 'forget' to turn the lights on/off or my feed pumps on.

- I don't have to spend ten minutes juggling wires to find which one is the skimmer plug just so I can unplug it to clean it - instead I just flip a switch on the app.

- I do have peace of mind. As others have stated, I know that all of my parameters are being monitored. If something is awry, I will get alerts (depending on how they are setup - SMS, email).

As stated above, it can be a generous investment. It also doesn't have to be. Stick with the basic unit and see how you like it - if you determine it's not the right fit, the units have a pretty decent resale value.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A controller isnt necessary for everyone. However, if you are into tanks, slightly techy, and into automation it is totally worth the buy! Any controller is gonna hit the wallet with the initial purchase, and that is just the start of it. You are going to add to it, with different expansion sets to help you be more in tune with everything that is going on with your tank. So keep that in mind if you buy a controller there will be more cost as you start to understand and get everything situated the way you like it. 

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. $800+ to my wife = definite want, not a need. Me, I wouldn't start or have a tank without a controller. Although I am a GHL guy... I would consider it a good purchase.... APEX BOO.... GHL YAY!!!... Just kidding. Both are great products and if you make the purchase I am sure you will be happy with it in the end. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Waffen06 said:

Id like one but not in the budget currently 

I understand that. I will be switching to Apex this winter. Looking last night at some of the prices and packages and wow. I’ll have to start small and add to it as I go.