Hello,

In the last couple of days I have had an outbreak of some kind of brown algae in my tank.  It covers the bottom sand and starts to grow on glass and on power heads etc.  I clean it all out and the next day It is right back.  My nitrates are around 2 and phosphates are zero.  Not sure what this is or what to do to cure it.  I have turned lights off for today and hope to figure out some answers. From what I read, dino likes phosphates and nitrates, so kind of confusing as to what this could be.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

Look into Dinos (flagellates)

Agreed. If you can’t seem to get it under control. Once you scrap it off. Try to suck it out of the tank. If you leave it free floating it will find a place to attached to and grow again! Best thing I’ve found for Algae in my opinion only is. Ruby Rally Reef. It’s in a orange bottle. Cheap also. Worked great for my algae and Dino algae. Killed it out in 3 days 

Thanks for the info.  I’ve done a little more investigating on this.  So the brown algae is kind of like a dust i would say.  Not slimy or snotty as i have heard Dino described.  If i turn off the lights all of the brown disappears completely after a few hours.  If i turn on the lights within five minutes i can see the brown coming back on the sand.  Also notice the water gets cloudier the longer the lights are on and gets crystal clear after lights are off for a while.  Trying to get a correct diagnosis and a cure.  As i said before my nitrates are like 0-2 and phosphates 0.  Trying to raise those numbers but no luck yet.  Thanks.