Keeping a Mixed Reef

Waffen06

How many of you keep a mixed reef with success? I mainly keep all softies, zoas, mushrooms, hammers, torch, etc. I have the random sps like my porcillopora which does alright, had two others and they both slowly died. I know parameters are more important with sps. So how do you make everything happy in a mixed reef when everything has such different requirements? Ive never been big on sps but would love to try some.

I think my biggest mistake in trying acro’s was trying to grow them in a-tank that was not mature. Other then that they require more flow and very stable alk. IN my mixed reef I have to watch where I place my big brain corals as too much flow will cause them to recede in their skeleton. I also keep them in a fairly shaded area. My Acans, torches hammers and zoas all handle a little more flow but not as much as the acros get. I keep my acros up higher in more direct flow.  I have seen quite a few very successful mixed reefs . Take your time and go slow. Very slow.

jim

i have a mixed reef....a nano. It can be done but as @JMM pointed out, just take it slow. Husbandry is a must for a full mixed reef as you have to keep enough nitrates and other nutrients to keep softies and lps happy but not too much as to irritate sps. Its about finding that balance and maintaining it.

Edited by euphylin me

• 2 weeks later...