Stores vs individuals (debate)

maddhatter

Being in the hobby here in Ohio has left me Into several questions, to weight thru. I like going to stores all over to see new stuff an to be on the hunt for that oddball peice that I didnt know I needed, yesterday I drove 50 minutes to a store. I went into a store where the fragS were buy 2 get one free, I reminded the owner of that an was just brushed off, an the coral I did pic out he said he baged an was in the counter, only to find out that when it open this morning, it was not even close to being what I asked an told the owner, it was just some plague old green palythoas, so a wad of cash down the drain, I have given this store an others several chances, to do better, how ever the same day I went to a petco that has a member from here who I must comened, as he was very in point with things, I have seen store going at each other, I have seem owners of these stores, blaming an screwing people left an right even other store owners, I have time an time again  over high prices, of store owner just trying to screw people, I even drove 2 an a half hours last week to go to a store that had next to no fish an clouded tanks, Thanksgiving weekend I went to a store in oh where I sale of the day on signs were, true perula clowns original 69.00 on sale 29.00, at what part does the allowance of these store an bad business practices help the hobby, is there really any good stores left. My patience is wearing thin in this hobby when it is expensive enough but to call these place an here yes we have it an drive hours to these locations to find they lied or don't is very frustrating, an these views has been before an  during covid so I know thats no excuse of these practices. Then there's individuals here bless you. Yall give me a bit of hope back to the hobby, it seems members here an other renew that hope is there for this hobby, if only the spirit of individuals could be passed to store locations, I think there should be a category, area calling out the people in stores an workers not just owners, for the ones that are doing great work an a way to thank the good guys for what they are doing, that way members can identify to these people an have better experiences.

So whats your thoughts is there  better stores, or are individuals seem to be better in ohio?

Care to share the stores? What part of Ohio are you in? Ive had very good luck with Salty Critter by the lake. He takes very good care of me every time. Ive been to many other stores that are the same distance and they are not nearly as nice/clean or reasonably priced.

I try to make it to different stores. This year has been a pain for it. I had some tank issues and have been in recovery mode so had no need to go to many. I get disappointed going in a lot of the stores because of some of the prices also. I understand there is overhead for stores but they aren’t selling wwc corals either. I’d rather go to swaps with other reefers and whatnot but those where all cancelled so it is what it is for the time being. I feel that fellow reefers are more apt to understand that some of the pricing is ridiculous. But, someone payed it at some point and they are trying to get their money out of it as well. 

True but the pricing of stores seem to be out of control way before covid it seems like it cuz we can charge it we will, I completely understand overhead, but one store I day a 6 inch green carpet with the mouth gaped open in bad shape so I asked price just to see if I should take a chance on it, 130.00 noooo thank you, bad practice with animals in bad shape at that price, thats crazy, an when have you seen a 69.00 percula clown fish ? Or just a dull green single discoma mushroom 79.00? I see that it has become a money racket while individuals seem to care alot more. An I have met some great people in the hobby.

Dont think its fair to compare a store and a hobbyist selling livestock. Stores have rent, employees and Id hate to see their water/electric bills. They also have to worry about anything that dies in their care. I felt awful one day salty critter was catching something for me and a $100+ fish jumped out the back. He could not get to it in time and it passed. Taking all that into consideration I dont believe some of their prices are that outrageous. Now for that price I expect clean tanks and healthy looking livestock. Tanks of dead fish or full of aiptasia and algae and I wont buy there. I strongly believe we need the stores to help with diversity, if only hobbyists sold we would not be able to bring in anything new. 

I will say that yeah...sometimes I look an think stores are more expensive. Then as @Waffen06said, you consider their over head, etc. Versus online retailers who sell much more volume. Also, supply and demand definitely play a part and whatever has the hype (torches, goni, shrooms, etc) will end up with a price that reflects its. Still I think its good to support local when/where you can but online just adds convenience. 

When it comes to live stock at stores, I always ask myself "can I order this coral(s) online for less? Sure but then you factor in shipping and having to be available to accept the delivery. So if it's one or two pieces its kind of a wash. Fish wise...I don't have a quarantine so I'm selective and only buy fish from one store due to their quarantine process and stocking many captive breed clean fish. Do I pay more, of course but its worth it to me.

Lastly, I definitely look to support hobbyists as well. Quality individuals out there with quality pieces and service. I've recieved shipments from hobbyists that are packaged better than online retailers.