Just wanted to say hi, and thank you for this great forum! I just became a member after learning so much from reading hours about reefing in the past year. 

I've been doing freshwater for many years, but switched to saltwater almost 2 years ago now. Going good so far and just always trying to learn and improve! Looking forward to hopefully using the par meter to improve my lighting and finally rest knowing what my PAR levels actually are! Look forward to continued education and helping when I can!

34 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Welcome! Always nice to hear people learn from our craziness. Lol. Would love to hear more about your build.

...oh and always, pics or it didn't happen. :D

Sure! It's a 90 gallon mixed reef, but recently lost most sps that was growing fast and colorful! Too much rowaphos is no joke. I have a diy 40 gallon sump with skimmer and reef breeder ato which has worked awesome for 2 years. I dose esv 2 part with a doser to keep everything happy.  Currently using sb reef lights which have been great, but switching to Noopsyche to see how everything will go with those. 

20200911_195027.jpg

10 hours ago, Jmj3783 said:

Sure! It's a 90 gallon mixed reef, but recently lost most sps that was growing fast and colorful! Too much rowaphos is no joke. I have a diy 40 gallon sump with skimmer and reef breeder ato which has worked awesome for 2 years. I dose esv 2 part with a doser to keep everything happy.  Currently using sb reef lights which have been great, but switching to Noopsyche to see how everything will go with those. 

20200911_195027.jpg

Looks great! What is prompting the lighting change?

7 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

Looks great! What is prompting the lighting change?

Honestly, just the need to try new lights and boredom. That's how I usually end up in trouble is getting bored and feeling the need to try something else for no actual reason lol

On 1/6/2021 at 10:42 AM, crimsonvice said:

I know that feeling.

To you it’s like changing pants. Lol. J/k. 

9 hours ago, Jmj3783 said:

Two 2k gyres for flow

I almost said only 2. But then I realized it’s a 90.  You obviously get good flow because it looks pretty good.  Are you running them at 100% ? gyre mode or in a random sps mode?  

7 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

To you it’s like changing pants. Lol. J/k. 

I almost said only 2. But then I realized it’s a 90.  You obviously get good flow because it looks pretty good.  Are you running them at 100% ? gyre mode or in a random sps mode?  

I run square, random and sine wave throughout the day. Honestly everything's at 15 percent power, except random mode is 35 percent at night. If they were turned up to 100 I'd have water splashing from the tank lol

3 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

My 3k’s hit 100% in sps mode everything else is like 85% max. That’s 4 gyres and 4 jebaos lol. 

Dang! What size tank? I don't have lots of sps, but the little I do have grows great in low flow. Which I didn't expect! Sometimes stuff just works lol

I run four Maxspect 250s in a 4' 120. Not always at 100%, but the left and right side get there. 

I have noticed that Coral will continue to grow just fine in lower flow situations, as long as your other parameters are in line. Sps will tend to grow thicker branches and clusters in higher flow. Lower flow branches will be thinner and clusters might be a little less tight. 

40 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

I run four Maxspect 250s in a 4' 120. Not always at 100%, but the left and right side get there. 

I have noticed that Coral will continue to grow just fine in lower flow situations, as long as your other parameters are in line. Sps will tend to grow thicker branches and clusters in higher flow. Lower flow branches will be thinner and clusters might be a little less tight. 

You are right! My clusters are less dense and possibly a little thinner with lower flow. 

• 2 weeks later...