Return pump recommendations

Travis

On 1/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, Travis said:

I looked at the mag drives, what size would you go with?

Any particular reason with using both ad drains? This is my first time actually plumbing instead of using what they already had setup

Because the way they have them designed there is no protection if the drain gets clogged.  A decent sized snail decides there is good algae down that pipe and they start down it then now you have restricted flow.  You say well I’ll just mesh it off. Well then you get a build up of algae etc same deal. I used all 4 of the bulkheads in my 180 as drains and went over the back with the returns.  2 main drains and 2 backups.  You can customize where and how you do your returns a little that way as well 

mag pumps are bulletproof but the downside to them is they aren’t speed variable so you will have to figure out your flow rate. 
I have a couple of the coral box pumps from reefbreeders but haven’t hooked them up just yet. I believe they are basically a Jebao pump, but they have a 0-10v input built into the control.  I am running a Cor20 and have no complaints other than I can’t use 0-10 on it. That’s above $200 though. 

I have had such great luck with Danner mag pumps I would have to agree with that recommendation as well as utilizing all bulkheads as drains. Depending on water level that sump holds about 20 gallons correct?  I’d shoot for about 10 times through the sump per hour so you don’t get bubble issues. The head loss curve charts are available most online places that sell them. Assuming no crazy height or a ton of 90’s in your plumbing I’m guessing you end up with a mag 7 or 9.5. You can put a valve on the exit side of the pump and trim down the flow if needed.  

On 1/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, cptnspanky said:

Id run both the drain and return as drains, plumb the return over the back and run a danner mag drive for your pump.  Those things last forever and are near bulletproof.  Theyre quite affordable too

I just did this to my 60g cube and my god I wish I had done it sooner. Tank is completely silent. 

On 1/27/2021 at 6:16 PM, cptnspanky said:

Sorry forgot to check back in on this thread. @Muttley000 answered it perfectly. But ill add the single drain will be maxed in flow and be noisy doing it. I am not a fan of 1" drain lines on any size tank, but we do the best we can with what we have.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Im using 3/4" drain with 1" emergency haha. It works surprisingly well and the tanks only 60g so its more then enough. So weird how quiet it is. Weird walking into the room and not hearing water flowing. 

17 hours ago, Travis said:

Can you guys post a pic of your double drains, like do you make the backup smaller or taller or same? And then what did you do for your return to look good.

You want the backup to be taller.