Thoughts on zero phosphate?

Jesse

I bet you still have some. If that was a zero on the phosphorus tester then I would worry. The +- error range on that tester is high enough to not read and still have phosphates so 0 on that one is usually good. I would bet you are good, but If you really are worried about it I could figure a way to get you my phosphorus tester to do a test.  

Edited by Fishoutofwater

7 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

I bet you still have some. If that was a zero on the phosphorus tester then I would worry. The +- error range on that tester is high enough to not read and still have phosphates so 0 on that one is usually good. I would bet you are good, but If you really are worried about it I could figure a way to get you my phosphorus tester to do a test.  

I disagree. In my opinion a tank should have some phosphate. This tester is the ultra low reader and should detect something. How much? That is the real question.  

I’ve been battling red on my sand and this could be part of the problem. 

maybe I should have stated the question better.

how much phosphate do you feel a tank should have? 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

I disagree. In my opinion a tank should have some phosphate. This tester is the ultra low reader and should detect something. How much? That is the real question.  

I’ve been battling red on my sand and this could be part of the problem. 

maybe I should have stated the question better.

how much phosphate do you feel a tank should have? 

I said you still have some phosphates. That’s good. You don’t want zero, that is what causes issues.  If you are worried that you are at zero I have the phosphorus tester which reads lower amounts. 

I am of the mindset that some phosphates are good. I am having an issue with GHA, and the lower my phosphates are the more I have a problem with the GHA. Same with nitrate. The lower I am on nitrate, the more problems I have with algae growth. 

That being said, I like to try to keep my nitrate above 10 ppm, and let the phosphate automatically regulate itself. I am sure there is a +/- variant in the Hanna ULR, so it is hard for me to imagine that you truly are at 0.  

On 2/5/2021 at 11:35 PM, Craig said:

I try to stay under .1 I've gotten dinos in an old system running low nutrients. 

I’m dealing with dinos now. 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates. I ordered a different nitrate test kit to be sure. I may have to dose something to bring them up.