Generator

Joe

I know we have talked about emergency supplies for our tanks before. But seeing so many people on Facebook in Texas and other places loosing their tanks to the cold. It’s a reason that anyone with a tank to get a generator. Even a small one that will only run your tanks. Just because it hasn’t happened yet. Don’t mean it won’t. And when it does, you won’t be able to find a generator. 

Just my opinion. 

The problem is that even with a generator without house heat it’s a lost battle. No aquarium heater is going to keep a tank in the high 70’s in sub 30 temps. Then take the fact that in Texas they are having problems getting fuel also. So what do you do then? So you need to have some multiple setups/ fallbacks. 

2 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

The problem is that even with a generator without house heat it’s a lost battle. No aquarium heater is going to keep a tank in the high 70’s in sub 30 temps. Then take the fact that in Texas they are having problems getting fuel also. So what do you do then? So you need to have some multiple setups/ fallbacks. 

True. My generator is big enough to run my house heat as well. And I keep a weeks worth of fuel on hand at all times. It’s a lot of trouble rotating gas cans and keeping the generator running throughout the year. But we’ll worth it when I need it. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

True. My generator is big enough to run my house heat as well. And I keep a weeks worth of fuel on hand at all times. It’s a lot of trouble rotating gas cans and keeping the generator running throughout the year. But we’ll worth it when I need it. 

My generac standby will run my whole house as well. And it’s natural gas so no worries about keeping it fueled up. I also have gas fireplace upstairs and a gas heater in basement in same room as my tank. Just have to open a basement window if I get to the point of needing that heater. Will drop the ph to low.