Removing Zoas

Nanoreef13

So my zoas are taking over one of my rocks and I was thinking that I want to clear some off. I couldn’t figure out how to scrape them off so I came up with this idea. 

My goal is that the zoas will grow through the egg crate and connect itself to it. Then I can lift up the egg crate and easily cut it up into frags to attach to frag plugs. Do you guys think this will work? Even if it doesn’t get them all atleast I hope it gets some. 

62F3D0D4-6428-43EC-AB52-5F1A22B4BC01.jpeg

A3608726-392D-4B2B-B0E8-27597C72089E.jpeg

2624DC98-4910-4847-A053-78277375CC64.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think it will work. But will take a lot of time. Can the rocks they are on be removed from the tank? If so, Zoas just peal right off the rock fairly easily. 

Yea that’s what I figured. I have laid frag plugs on them and after a few weeks they grew onto the plugs and I pulled them off. Unfortunately that rock is one of the base rocks for my main structure and is concreted in place. It was a dumb move on my part but I definitely didn’t think they would grow that quickly 

My initial thoughts are the zoas are just going to get pissed off from the egg crate and shade. I would simply cut some off the rock and glue them to plugs, or sell/trade the whole rock. 

I think you would have better luck sitting a rock next to them for them to grow on to. 

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

My initial thoughts are the zoas are just going to get pissed off from the egg crate and shade. I would simply cut some off the rock and glue them to plugs, or sell/trade the whole rock. 

I think you would have better luck sitting a rock next to them for them to grow on to. 

Unfortunately I can’t sell the whole rock because I can’t get it out of the tank. Not a great choice on placement on my part

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Nanoreef13 said:

So after having the grate in the tank for over a month I took it out. IT WORKED!!!! It took out a bunch of the zoas and now I can cut up the grate and put them on plugs! There is probably about 60 zoas on it. Frags to come

awesome. that is pretty good growth as well.