Home Made Frozen Fish Food.

Whodeydan76

I went to our local Asian grocery in Shawnee. They have a bag of "seafood medley" it is shrimp, scallops, cooked muscles, and Kalamari. All ingredients are frozen raw except the muscles. I thawed half of the bag of food out in a bowl of tank water.. Pit then of a paper towel for an hour to dry a little,then put half of the seafood in my food processor and blended it up real well...(2 batches) then what was left in the mixer I put a little tank water and put a sheet of toasted dried kelp that I feed my tangs, then blended it all up and put in a baggie and formed around a plate in the freezer. Now I'm going to break off a hunk, thaw it out and see what my salty friends think... The bag of food cost $3.12 and the kelp is $2.11 for 10 sheets 0.7oz or $23 for 8.8oz. #savingdough

I have been looking at doing this also (just gotta find a place that sells what I need). People have also suggested processing your own garlic cloves to add as well as adding some phytoplankton for the corals and such. Some people add Selcon as well. I think it's a really viable way to save money especially if you can get the recipe just right and your tank inhabitants love it. You will spend 20-30+ dollars on it but you literally get pounds of fish food.

Well I need to find a local Asian store....

Yeah I called both LFS that carry LRS and they are both 20.00. That just seems astronomical to me... I don't think I can justify spending 40.00/lb. for fish food. I've spent lots of money on my setups but this is where I probably draw the line. "Maybe" I would add 1 package of LRS to a homemade batch...