Care Level: Expert Only

Temperament: Peaceful

Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025

Max. Size: 1'

Color Form: Black, Tan

Diet: Herbivore

Origin: Indo-Pacific

Family: Aplysidae

The body of the Dwarf Sea Hare is a combination of speckles and patterns. The location of its rhinophores (organ used to smell) and its oral tentacles make it look a bit like a rabbit, hence its common name.

If it becomes startled, it may release a purple dye to repel attacking fish. In the home aquarium, the Sea Hare will need a good chemical filter system to quickly remove this toxic dye before it causes problems.

In the wild, it is usually found in shallow areas of seagrasses and coral rubble, preferring the shaded areas. Cover from the lights in the aquarium should be provided. It requires a large area in which to move. It prefers an aquarium with live rock and open sandy areas so that it can graze on algae, eating any Caulerpa in the tank. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and will not tolerate bad water conditions (high nitrates).

If regular feedings of Caulerpa are not possible, it will need a supplemented diet of parboiled lettuce and dried kelp.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+524+726&pcatid=726

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, cheap reefer said:

One of the lfs around here actually rents his sea hare out..i rented him for a week when i had a hair algea break out, within 3 days he cleaned a whole 65g tank...then i returned him..its kinda like legal slave trading lol.

We used to have one here that was loaned out. I believe it was member @tjh9100 that had it.

3 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

I killed it. It got started in my 40b and dissolved 

Lol...thats why i wont keep one...its a double edged sword..if u have algea then something is out of whack with your water and sea hares need good water quality to survive..but if your water is good then you should have very little algea then the sea hare will starve and die...just my opinion.

• 1 year later...