Drilling a tank in a vertical position

Anyone ever tried drilling a tank while it was vertical? Basically I need to drill the side of my 220 but I don't want to take it out of the wall. I do plan on draining the tank. Just wanted to see if you guys had any tricks to accomplish this. I have drilled plenty of holes but they were always laying down so I could create a plumbers putty pool of water to keep the glass cool. I can't really do that in a vertical stance.

I not sure I understood this first but I think I know what your talking about now, You'd have to find a way to keep the bit and glass cool while your drilling, I'm sure you could come up with some kind of cup to press against the glass to hold the water while you drill. If that makes any sense? Good luck!

Thanks for all of the replies, I think I am going to drain it and build a temp stand that will let me tilt the tank out of the wall. That will allow me to make the common pool of water. Since it's in the house a running flow of water wont really work. I was really just trying to avoid moving it again.

I haven't done anything yet. I'm still working on the design for the overflow. I think I'm going to make it full height like an in tank overflow would be and make it so that it has a lid to keep the volume down.The tank is pretty close to the bedroom and the noise is annoying so whatever I do has to be super quiet.