Rock set up for FOWLR and Reefs

Basicallybane

Just wanted to start a topic about rock placement. If anyone has secrets or great ideas, feel free to share.

Personally I like the look of having the rocks against one wall of the glass, but how do you prevent scratching the glass?

I never am happy with how I set up my rock and always change it. Any tips? 

I want to re-map my rock really soon.

please post pictures of your rock set ups as well if you'd like!

very nice, I love the way purple rock on sand looks.

nice humu humu! check out my Behemoth!

This is my rock set up so far. Its going to go through an extreme makeover (marine edition) very soon.

I hate my substrate. black and white looks so blah.

If I put it up against the glass, is there a safe way to do that? this tank has maybe one small scratch. Ive been very careful. But again like muttley said, Its hard to have them centered in a small set up. When I center it, the fish like to chase each other around it sometimes( the angel and tusk) and I don't care for that.

post-975-0-66476800-1444784565_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-16908700-1444784860_thumb.jpg

Nice humu. He's a big boy. How long have you had him?

Thanks! Just got him about a week ago actually. Hands down best fish i've ever had. super chill and is not aggressive but he knows who and what he is. Named him "Pharaoh" My King angel(known as Joker) tried to be aggressive toward the humu and the trigger literally ignored him as if it was a bad joke lol. they been buddies ever since, and my angel is really really mean.

They grow super slow, so my LFS got me in a good size one to be the dominant fish to keep the angel in check.

Hopefully my Harley quinn Tuskfish will hold her ground when I add her back in. 

Just one trigger, even though I'm tempted to get a niger trigger! but my luck id get one of the demon spawn ones 

actually I have decent luck with my clean up crews. What is crazy is that the snails and hermits will hide all day and when it gets dark they are all over the place cleaning and eating. Its like they know they are not safe during the day. Im sure seeing their friends eaten in the day might inspire such a night time act. 

I think your scape looks pretty cool. I've always found it much more difficult to aqua scape once the tank and rock are wet. I have the same issue with my 220. It needs redone but the way I want to do it requires me to drill the rock and with all of the coral/critters I don't love the idea of pulling it al out. Eventually I will build a separate rock scape and just swap it out and sell the stuff I pull.

read into the "rule of thirds"

Here's a decent article to start on:

http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/how-to-hardscape-your-aquarium

okay now! I got you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I always try and cluster too much together and end up having a perfect horizontal line of rocks at one height and looks (the me) terrible. 

But thanks for the compliment trickedout900, I always find that other peoples designs look better than my own. the picture might of made it look better than it was.

this article comes to show that we are naturally judgmental. its not a flaw, its a gift lol

Since I have this up, what are the best ways to fasten rocks? I saw a video on drilling and using fiberglass or acrylic rods to make a nice fastening joint. it is nice to be able to pull them apart with just a small hole you can cover up. I mentioned using crazy glue in the aphasia thread, does that work?