• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sump sizing

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to figure out how to tell what size sump is needed vs tank size I just bought a 125 gal reed ready tank for $125 and a 300 gal acrylic for $200. I was n the hobby 8 years ago and got out of it after my divorce and getting ready to get back in to it this weekend. So I was wondering what the general rule of thumb is for sump gal vs tank gal if there is one. Thanks for all the help!

270 gallon sump here! The sump sizing to me is a function of how much flow is going to be through it. If you are going to do a lot of powerheads the 40 will work, but still be cramped in my opinion. I would size the return pump and then at least go 1/10 th the flow in size, more if you can fit it.

270 gallon sump here! The sump sizing to me is a function of how much flow is going to be through it. If you are going to do a lot of powerheads the 40 will work, but still be cramped in my opinion. I would size the return pump and then at least go 1/10 th the flow in size, more if you can fit it.

Holy smokes lol

Thanks for all the replies. I was shopping online for sumps yesterday and some sumps had a specific number of gallons they were rated for as far as tank size. After taking the measurements and converting them to gallons they were smaller then the sump I already have I think I'm going to try and make my own sump. Has any one here tried this before with success? I watched a few videos on it and of course they made it look pretty simple. I figured if I can make my own sump (out of plexy) I can make it as big as possible and guarantee it fits. If anyone has made a sump before please let me know what you did and how it turned out. Again thanks for all the replies. I'll have many more ?s coming over the next few weeks as this weekend I begin setup of my 125 gal and after that my 300.