Spanky's "I like em big n wide" build

cptnspanky

Alright folks, after over a year im finally getting around to making a tank build thread.  Im, as of right now, picking up a 300 gallon deep dimension this weekend to upgrade and replace my weak seamed 180 gallon acrylic. This is going to give me a chance to re-aquascape a bit more to my liking since in my 180 i added rock little bits at a time and stuck them where i thought was best at that moment. Actually a lot about my 180 remained a constant work in progress since when i started it up i had a pretty tight budget. Some of that will ring true again with this build but i think the bulk foundation will be in place from the get go.  

On to the actual project!  Today was the first actual step to what anyone could call progress on this endeavour....i received 4 ocean revive t247s that i ordered from lazy. Eventually ill have somewhere in the 6-8 range, but for now this will get me by. This is going to be a big step for me as i am certainly no expert on led lit reef tanks! Im currently running 3x 250w halides and 4x 80w t5ho over my mixed, but sps dominant reef. Im definitly a bit scared ill bleach everything out in the switch over process, but im gonna go for it anyways. 

So the simplified version of my plan as of now, is this saturday i will try to expand the additional floor support in my crawl to accomodate the deeper footprint of this tank. If i can, i will try to meet up with dustin to pick up the rubbermaid tub to help with holding my livestock while i tear down the 180 and get the 300 up and running. Sunday going on a road trip to dayton to pick the tank up and hauling it back to toledo. When the 180 is torn down i will have to remove the carpet and put in some type of to be determined hard surface flooring  around the vicinity of the new tanks footprint, this way if i ever have a spill, leak, or whatever the moisture isnt sitting soaked up in the carpet under it. Once that is done the only thing i have yet to acquire before im start up capable, will be the sand. Still dont know what im getting for sand but ill figure something out. After that just some hair pulling, teeth clenching, surgically accomplished stocking, all while praying i dont suddenly flood the market with a wave of sps frags from some clumsy oopsy moment!

Ahhhh deeeeeeeep breath....sorry, feeling long winded after all that.  Now on to the first possible pic!

20160224_164224.jpg

Edited by cptnspanky
double pic post

53 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Exciting to be aboe to draw on all of the lessons you've learned along the way. Looking forward to watching this one come together!  Ps call me when those frags are ready lol

I swear if that happens im gluing every broken piece back together!

2 minutes ago, ach6175 said:

Look forward to following along on your build. Good luck with moving everything. 

Thanks!  Still gotta decide if i wanna render the living room or the family room useless till everything is in place lol

3 hours ago, Joe said:

This is exciting. Glad I don't have room for a deep dimension tank in my house. I would defiantly have one if so. I will be following. 

Well if it makes you feel any better in struggling with where to put my 180 ...i plan on chopping it down to 12-14" tall and rebracing it to make a 6' frag tank out of it

Ok, update...wait for it......wait for it......wait for it.......

BAM!!! I have the tank and stand in my house.  The load up at brians went easy and smooth, and of course i got a few frags while i was there.  The drive home was a lot smoother than the drive up with all the wind we had today, the wind was at least somewhat blowing with us then. 

Then we got home. Suddenly everyone was busy and myself and my bro-in-law had unloaded off the truck with just the 2 of us.  (For those of you unaware, this tank weighs 460lbs dry) so after we picked our testicles off the ground one of our scheduled helpers came through! Since the tank was sitting on a styrofoam board in the yard at this time we used the 3 of us to finish getting it into the house.  Holy cow! That was something i dont think i ever want to attempt again, but thank god for those suction cups. Thankyou to brian for all the help there, thankyou joe for making yourself available with those suction cups, and thanks to jesse for making the suction cups possible.  

Next step will be to reinforce the floor with the materials ive already picked up, and to buy sand for the tank20160228_125543.thumb.jpg.60b8643547e7e520160228_182910.thumb.jpg.f20330762479eb

53 minutes ago, rott said:

wow going to a lot of work/fun to get it filled and going to need an army of little chromis/other fishies once it is all going. Any idea how much rock for that size tank? 

Well i have somewhere.in the ballpark of 180lbs in the tank now, plus 50.in a tub and another 60lbs dry. So.i should need too much