Summer/Fall project

Jeffress77

25 minutes ago, Jeffress77 said:

Yeah everything is up and running about a week now.  Still no fish.  A couple neighbors have some they are planning on donating.  After all is said and done, I have even contemplated not having any fish, but if I do that, I wasted my time on the huge pump, filter system and bio media, and large water capacity. 

Only problem is that we have been scolding the kids for walking in the landscaping but if anyone wants to see the fish, that is the only way to look at them. 

At least get some mosquito fish to keep the larvae down.  You will have frogs and tadpoles whether you intend them or not, so even if you don't do goldfish, I wouldn't consider the filter a waste!

The filter box is a 17 gal tote from Home Depot.  I drilled it out and put a 1.5" bulkhead for the water inlet from the pump and a 3" bulkhead for outlet/overflow.  Bulkheads I got on eBay.

The media is MarinePure MP2C random sized pieces of MarinePure media, I got at Dr Foster and Smith.

PVC I got at Menards

The media and filter foam rolls are sitting on plastic planting flats from the Menards garden center.  

The filter foam rolls are from Dr Foster and Smith also.  

My pump is a Sicce EcoPower 10. 

2 minutes ago, Jeffress77 said:

The filter box is a 17 gal tote from Home Depot.  I drilled it out and put a 1.5" bulkhead for the water inlet from the pump and a 3" bulkhead for outlet/overflow.  Bulkheads I got on eBay.

The media is MarinePure MP2C random sized pieces of MarinePure media, I got at Dr Foster and Smith.

PVC I got at Menards

The media and filter foam rolls are sitting on plastic planting flats from the Menards garden center.  

The filter foam rolls are from Dr Foster and Smith also.  

My pump is a Sicce EcoPower 10. 

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Well you can't go wrong with lilies in my opinion.  You are going to want some other floaters to block light also which will help,with algae, my wife always liked the floating hyacinths.  They used to always recommend some anacharis in the bottom of the main pond also.  In the top section I would do some bog grasses, there are several different types with different colors, I always just let the wife pick them for the colors she wanted.  The places that sell water garden plants in Toledo are always loaded with tropical plants, and they are the prettiest, but you should be able to find hardy plants that you can trim in the fall and sink in the main part of the pond, then put back in the spring.  My pond is 22 years old now, and is in need of an overhaul for sure!  Actually thinking about removing it and moving it elsewhere to accommodate some plans with the yard and deck.