Cleaning biopellets for storage

Nickryan915

Ok so probably an odd question. So last night I had one of my biocubes develope a small leak in the back right corner. Seems to be a common issue, so needless to say it had to come down fast and furious. I took all the livestock and moved it to my 90. So the question now is that I had a biopellet reactor in there and only added it about a month ago. The pellets are basically barely broke in but used non the less. So my question is (not trying to be a cheapskate) but are these now tarnished and need to be disposed? Or can I run the reactor in rodi water for a day or two to clean the bacteria off then dry them and store them for future use in my other tank?

Thanks for any responses. 

Two little fishes recommends storing them damp.  I don't.  Usually, i take them out, maybe a quick rince with RO/DI to get the salt water off and then let them air dry.  I'd rinse them again with RO/DI real well once again before using them - especially if they have a brownish bacterial crust on them from the last use... that will blow out in your tank if you dont remove it.  Using vinigar would kill the bacteria off pretty well, but so does drying so its probably not necessary.