Anyone ever try to diy a par meter..is there any electronic s junkies like me here?..i have the parts and programming knowledge to build it arduino based..but as far as the photocell module, what would work best and does it need filtered lens...this site is my stating point start.http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/120109-diy-par-meter-yeah-you-heard-me.html#/topics/120109?page=1&_k=whfruu

1 hour ago, Reefnuts(419) said:

Check out afafruit.com they have a couple lux type sensor components for microcontrollers.  They have a couple that have double sensors. One for the visble specrrum and one for non visible uv.

Im very familiar with adafruit...ive given them a large portion of my salary..lol...im just confused on the photo sensor needed...im not that educated of light spectrums and waveforms...does it need to be a uv negative cell?...i thought the ultra violet wave cant penetrate water.

I kinda like the idea of a RGB color sensor due to the fact you can output the intesity level for each channel. (Lux value of the red green and blue )  and total lux. Rather than a single photosensor monitoring all visible light.   Due to in reefing we favor low par producing blue than high par whites.   Taosinc.com produces light and color sensors sold thru sparkfun.com and adafruit.     Coulple of their data sheets showed a fairly linear output curve thru the color spectrum to a little below 400 nm. 

Hi the one from planted tank.net is the same one I made my friend 02 is who made the boards there where a few different optics that was looked at but it does say in that thread what the part was and where to buy it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rott said:

Hi the one from planted tank.net is the same one I made my friend 02 is who made the boards there where a few different optics that was looked at but it does say in that thread what the part was and where to buy it

Yes know..ive searched up and down on the net and cant find an optical sensor..all i can find are photo-cells and thats not gonna cut it..i thought about emailing the user on that plantedtank.net, but that thread is kind of old...im acually suprised that is the only par meter build anywhere on the www....i also an gonna mod the code to read it to the serial monitor somehow..iv never had and luck getting lcds to work right...but till i can find this optic sensor, its on hold.

2 hours ago, rott said:

I will look mine up just got to be able to sit down and do it and no where near 200$ closer to $ 30 for 2 I think

Oh nice...if i could find it for that price, im in!!!..every place i look, is a pre-built optic with lens and usb tail...i just need the optical eye.

cant use glass you will have reading all over the place most of the group was using little plastic bottles with snap on lids I got mine from JoAnn fabrics got 8 for $3.50 they are about 3 inches tall 1 and a half around you did read the planted tank thread where it talks about needing the 3 different colored lens right 1 rose 1 clear and 1 blueish you will need these to help filter out unwanted color rays and white wash so it doesn't slam your probe like I did and I also have 2 white walls next to my tank I am in a corner so all the light bounced back poor little par meter never stood a chance till I got the filters in it

Makes sense about using glass...the filters i didnt even think about..ive made photo filters out of colored plasic wrap..i may try that..plastic bottles, no problem...im sure i can find something laying about to necessitate this...its just findind this damn optic sensor!!!.....ggrrrr..getting frustrated on this one...i emailed sparkfun.com to see what they have.

1 hour ago, rott said:

cant use glass you will have reading all over the place most of the group was using little plastic bottles with snap on lids I got mine from JoAnn fabrics got 8 for $3.50 they are about 3 inches tall 1 and a half around you did read the planted tank thread where it talks about needing the 3 different colored lens right 1 rose 1 clear and 1 blueish you will need these to help filter out unwanted color rays and white wash so it doesn't slam your probe like I did and I also have 2 white walls next to my tank I am in a corner so all the light bounced back poor little par meter never stood a chance till I got the filters in it

@rott..did you have a build thread for this or did you just wing it?..btw ive modded the  (plantedtank.com) code to read the parameters in the serial monitor...now i have to get this going!

I used the screen to se the readings I didn't have a personal thread I was on the one at planted tank.

sorry  about taking so long to find the paper work on the sensor I have the sensors just have a hard time finding the price for them but I will have it soon

sorry it took so long but here is what I use for mine a lot of used them said it was on the money mine didn't turn out as well my readings are stable but wrong I think I used the club apogee meter to test it was a big difference but I was not sure I was using the apogee correctly either

http://www.alliedelec.com/excelitas-technologies-sensors-vtb8441bh/70219652/

• 1 month later...