2nd Annual Buckeye Reef Marine Expo, It’s Going to Be Huuuge!

Jesse

Last year saw the emergence of what I hope to be a long-standing event in northwest Ohio, the Buckeye Reef Marine Expo. As I’ve previously mentioned, NW OH is an area that’s centrally located between several larger saltwater aquarium markets and home to a substantial hobbyist base of our own. So it always seemed odd that we didn’t have an event like this sooner – and by all accounts, it was a resounding success!

buckeye-reef5.jpg

View of last year’s Buckeye Reef Marine Expo (Photo credit: Haupt Photography)

In just a few days, March 11, the much-anticipated sequel will be upon us! Jesse Lambdin and the crew at BuckeyeReef.com will host the second annual Buckeye Reef Marine Expo. This go-round will be held in Perrysburg, Ohio at the Holiday Inn French Quarter, which is a venue perfectly suited for a multi-faceted event such as this.

Let’s discuss what you can expect and what has changed for 2017…

Vendors? They’ve got vendors.

30 to be exact! And they’re coming from near and far – Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Georgia – to Perrysburg, Ohio. Some familiar faces from last year will join new exhibitors to create a diverse vendor hall to fulfill all your livestock and dry goods needs. In addition, Dave Bowers and his Bellevue High School students will be back doing coral fragging and dipping demonstrations throughout the event. Below is a map of the layout you can expect when you walk through the door.

buckeye-reef2.jpg

If you’re interested in sneaking in as a last-minute vendor, I’m sorry to say that the exhibitor hall is sold out. However, if you want to try bribing Jesse, I hear he is an Ohio State Buckeyes fan…

Entertain and educate

This year’s event will play host to two different presentations, one by The Toledo Zoo & Aquarium’s very own Jay Hemdal, and the other by yours truly.

I will kick off the Marine Expo at 11:00am with a talk about live rock aquaculture in the Florida Keys. [Pro tip: Those who attend will get early entrance into the vendor hall.] If you see me milling about at the event, don’t hesitate to say hello. I’d love to meet you.

Jay will highlight the afternoon when he speaks about fish health and disease at 2:00pm. [Another pro tip: Free raffle ticket for all who attend.].

Raffling for a great cause

A mainstay at any modern reefkeeping event is the raffle and the Buckeye Reef Marine Expo certainly won’t disappoint in that regard. At 3:30pm, they will be raffling off thousands of dollars worth of saltwater aquarium-related products and equipment (seriously, look at the picture below). Tickets can be purchased for $1/ticket or $20/25 tickets.

buckeye-reef3.jpg

But wait, the most important part…100% of the proceeds will be donated to Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium. Talk about stepping up to the plate – good on you, Buckeye Reef! For those of you unfamiliar with Mote, they are a non-profit, independent research institution made up of scientists, explorers, and stewards committed to the conservation and sustainable use of oceans around the world. With locations in Sarasota, FL and the Florida Keys, they strive to create a better environment for future generations through research and education.

The vitals

• Buckeye Reef Marine Expo
  • March 11, 2017
  • Holiday Inn French Quarter (10630 Fremont Pike, Perrysburg, Ohio 43551)
  • 11:00am: yours truly, Caribbean Chris, on the mic, 2:00pm: Jay Hemdal sharing his knowledge
  • The Expo floor is open from 12:00-4:00pm (hint: check earlier pro tip for early entry)
  • $5 per person, kids 12 and under are free
  • For the most up-to-date info, check out this thread.

Jeff and I hope to see you there!

A bit about Buckeye Reef

Buckeye Reef is a fast-growing reef aquarium club and online community founded by Jesse Lambdin in late 2014. The goal of BR is to help bring hobbyists in northwest Ohio and beyond together by promoting camaraderie, education, and shared resources. You can find out more at their website: http://www.buckeyereef.com

buckeye-reef1.jpg

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/2nd-annual-buckeye-reef-marine-expo-its-going-to-be-huuuge-6962/