Friends upcoming build

Travis

Ok eventually ill get him on here to do his own build thread but for now ill keep this updated cause were going to need some help. This is his first saltwater tank.

So far we have the tank (27g cube) stand led light and stand. And going to be picking up an asm mini skimmer rated for 75g soon.

1st. We need to drill the cube for built in overflows. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Would anyone be willing to do this for cash or coral trade?

2nd. Is a 10g tank sufficient for a sump? If so we have the tank but will need help sectioning it off for the sump.

3rd. What size return pump would you recommend?

4th. How much flow in the tank would you recommend, looking at mainly doing LPs and softs and zoas.

5th. Anyone have any spare parts laying that would make this build easier?

6th. What would you go with deep vs. Shallow sand bed?

7th. Any ideas for rock work?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I've used a few glass holes overflows, and built a few boxes that were very similar that worked out well for me, drilling is a snap with the diamond hole saws. A 10 can work for the sump, but you will have to drill so that you only drain a couple gallons out when the power goes off. You won't need much for a return pump, 200 GPH Max in my opinion. Get the rest of the flow with powerheads in the tank, total of 600 or so GPH. I like deep beds, and if the dims on that tank are like I remember it's tall, I would do it in the display. I would try to make a column of rock right up the center so you have good flow around it.

1st. We need to drill the cube for built in overflows. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Would anyone be willing to do this for cash or coral trade?

​i have a lot of EXP. drilling aquariums 

2nd. Is a 10g tank sufficient for a sump? If so we have the tank but will need help sectioning it off for the sump.

​you don't really need to section off a 10g sump, but if you decide you want to i can help you with that too...

3rd. What size return pump would you recommend?

mag 5, mag 7

4th. How much flow in the tank would you recommend, looking at mainly doing LPs and softs and zoas.

if you drill right you will not need additional flow 

Ok thank you both for your suggestions, would either of you be willing to help drill the tank for the overflows and return? I have diamond bits we can use. And i have some coral we could trade for help or cash either is fine.

Sadow, how come we don't need to section it off? Wouldn't we need to keep refugium and skimmer and return separate? I've never made a sump before so I'm clueless on this part lol. Also how would you recommend drilling this so we don't have to have the additional pumps?

We need to drill the cube for built in overflows. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I have drilled a few wholes, but i would hate to be responsible for someones tank. You have the bits to do it.

Is a 10g tank sufficient for a sump?

10g would work, 20g would be better. Only because there is more room to work. Measure and have Hemms Glass cut the glass sections you need. It's cheaper and easier them trying to find, cut and silicon acrylic to  glass. 

. What size return pump would you recommend?

Jebao 6000 or 9000 they are affordable and the dc pumps are whisper quiet.

How much flow in the tank would you recommend, looking at mainly doing LPs and softs and zoas.

4-5 times the total water volume. 

Anyone have any spare parts laying that would make this build easier?

All sold out. I do have some acrylic pieces if you decide to do the sump sections in it. 

What would you go with deep vs. Shallow sand bed?

Shallow. About an inch. Just enough to cover the bottom well. 

Any ideas for rock work?

I am in love with the BRS Pukani rock right now. But rock placment is a person preference. And he should take note of what the livestock he is wanting will need. 

I have a cube 30 gallon I found it easier not to use a sump but just a back filter with carbon pads and a attached skimmer that's small that sits inside my tank cheaper than making a sump and risking drilling the tank

I've also drilled lots of tanks with never a mishap, but I would be nervous with someone else's because I wouldn't want to buy it :). If you brought it to me I would attempt it just to help you out, but no guarantees if it breaks.

If you decide to skip the baffles you can just use egg crate to keep your cheato ball from getting sucked into the pump. I don't go that route because I can keep track of evaporation better with a smaller return section, also the skimmer will be happier with a constant water level, which having the return pump in the opposite side of the baffles provides. Last benefit is the bubble trap the baffles provide.

Ok thank you all this has given us a lot to think about, I think were going to go with a sump, going to see if its possible to get a bigger one, and determine whether the glass is tempered or not.

Wait for a good dollar per gallon store at one of the big chains.

Well lol as usual in this hobby plans have changed. He no longer is getting the 27g cube, instead he is going with a 48 gallon tank. Look for his post tonight username is coleman2014. He will need lots of help ;) he's very special.