Biscuit Starfish

Muttley000

5 hours ago, Levi said:

Beautiful starfish! Hopefully she doesn’t have any prized corals in that tank though. I have always followed the rule that knobby starfish love to eat coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She doesn't but I have several coral's in the tank, nothing high dollar though.  In my reading it feeds on sponge material and film algae, so lots of mature live rock needed.  Thanks for the heads up though, and I'll certainly report any issues!

14 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Dustin has been trying to get them for quite a while. He got 2 finally and he says he's keeping the other one.  You might talk him out of it!  He had a bunch of other cool stars

If I was sure my tanks ready I would. Don’t think I’m ready for a starfish yet. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, castlet67 said:

Very nice Muttley. Great choice. Make sure to update us on how cheeze it is doing or any issues with coral. Would love to add one to my tank

Will do!  He has ignored coral and hasn't bothered any of the nems either.  Does a lot of moving through the lower levels of the rock work, and occasionally tours one of the glass panes.  

• 7 months later...

Well an interesting development here.  A month or so ago my green Sinularia in this tank was looking really rough, turning black and fallen over.  I moved a couple little snips elsewhere in the tank and they are alive but I noticed the starfish cleaning up what was left.  Didn't think much of it.  A few weeks ago some of my purple mushrooms are missing, but the nems in the tank are going like gangbusters, maybe some competition just going on.  Around New Year's Day I did quite a bit of cleaning and I had a couple green Bta splits having out on some caleurpa I wanted to remove from the tank.  Got one attached to a rock and the other to an old turbo snail shell and put the later in the sandbed.  A couple days ago the star is in top of it and it's shredded and dead.  This morning the star is parked on top of a small acan colony and it is half gone!  I removed the acan to another tank to hopefully recover.  I assume whatever he was eating for most of the first year has been consumed and he is moving on to other things, or as he has grown his tastes are changing.  Will be keeping a close eye on this but wanted to pass it on.  This guy is very cool, but not reef safe!