• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help

Ron sprouse

I have a problem and not sure how to approach it tank was doing great then the

red algae started my phosphate's and nitrates are low phosphates are close to .10 and nitrates are almost undetectable with the test kit I have.... new ro di system new brs reactor with gfo and carbon and have been dosing red sea no-po x and it has not put a dent in it any advise or suggestions would be great 13a7c0504cc4dbd33bcd5540544a4519.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

How much are you feeding? I was struggling with green hair algae not too long ago. I was feeding a heavy amount once a day. I cut back to once every three days and monitored the fish. Everything slowly receeded. After that I slowly started feeding more. 

Keep in mind the algae is going to be consuming some nutrients in the tank, so even though your readings may be "normal", that could be because of all the algae. 

Also what kind of flow do you have. The more the better. In some areas of lower flow you may see.ore algae growth. 

Well that was the thing I went cheap on power heads and yesterday I noticed I had 2 that was running backwards so I don't know if it's low flow-old lighting- or over feeding or all of the above I have a tang a lion and 2 damsels that i hope make it on the lions menu the tang gets fed dry seaweed every 2 days and the lion gets a small gold fish every day

How old are your bulbs in the metal halide fixtures, they need changed about every 6 months because the color shifts and tends to encourage algae.  It wouldn't hurt to cut a couple hours out of the lighting too.  I would increase the flow like Brandon mentioned also, and manually remove as much of the growth as you can each day.

Okay I just added 4 more pumps (temporary) and id say the bulbs are well overdue just been putting off buying new bulbs till I can get a reef breeder..... I'm going to cut hours from 9-5 And start feeding every other day with less food and keep the other power heads in till I get better ones... sound about right?

So I've done a 2 day black out and 2 days with out feeding and the slime has started to go away I'm going to keep up the feeding every 2 days and keep the lights on for a short period everyday but im trying to figure out how long I should keep them on or off with out killing my corals any idea? I got a med sized frog spawn a couple med hammer corals and a bunch of mushrooms..